Mayor of Llantwit Major

A Year in the Life of the Town Mayor at Llantwit Major. Every year each Council Choose their Mayor to Hold office for One year.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Llantwit Major, Wales, United Kingdom

I live in Llantwit Major with my two Children Jessica aged 11 years and Laura aged 10 years, I am President of the Twining Organstion. Chairman of Planing, Chairman of Youth Forum, Chairman of School Gardens Commitee, Chairman of the Citzens Awards, Chairman of the Stillbirth and Childrens memorial Garden, Vice Chairman of S.M.I.L.E, Trustee of Crossroads in the Vale.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Peace and Hope



I was invited by the Peace and Hope Shop Llantwit Major to a Video presentation of work and life in Matagalpa, Nicaragua.
Two Sisters Ixil and Yerenia traveled thousands of Miles from South America to thank the people of the Vale for supporting their community and the coffee farm.

Ixil and Yerenia performed traditional Dances in Costume. More than 80 people attended the evening on June 22nd held at Coastland Family Church in Barry. I was joined by the Mayor of Barry Cllr Olga Cash and her consort Maggie Payne.

The farm, which operates under the fairtrade system, was purchased thanks to donations made at the Peace and Hope shop in Llantwit Major.

Nicaragua is one of the poorest countries in Latin America and suffered a number of natural disasters.
Life is hard, as the country is at risk form earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, landslides and drought.

To celebrate the visit I also attended Illtuds 216 Restaurant in Llantwit Major for a Nicaraguan food evening with coffee form the farm. Which I have to add the food was excellent.

I was so impressed with what the Peace and Hope Charity had achieved, I attended the bethel Baptist Coffee morning presentation were I gave our visitors a Town plaque as a reminder of their visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home